A good friend and I recently released a web application named Tallymark.
After a long development process into the wee hours of the night with a good friend, we were able to create a product that helps divide living expenses among people who live together, by simply adjusting the amount of the final rent check. You can check it out here.
Since it was such a significant project to me, I wanted to document the creation process a little bit. If you want to look at the code, it’s all on Github.
For me, Tallymark was a project where I had to pick up everything as I went along, because I had no prior knowledge of or Django. Setting up the server and repository took nearly two weeks, as figuring out the server setup was probably the difficult barrier of entry.
I picked up on the model, view, template structure pretty quickly, because it made a lot of intuitive sense to me. I quickly realized how powerful Django is, and how it is a lot more flexible and simple compared to PHP.
The first couple weeks were largely dedicated to figuring out how to navigate Django. I made objects in the models file, and started learning how to integrate them into my application. It took me another week or so to generate a dynamic dashboard.
And after about 2 months of work, with all too many visits to StackOverflow, I uploaded it to my server, turned debug mode off, and let it into the wild. Within the first hour, we had 45 people sign up, and people started logging in their houses and items.
For me, seeing the process from concept to reality was extremely exciting, as this is probably the biggest and most significant project that I have done to date. Despite the fact that this was framed as merely a summer project, it feels much more significant to me than that.
We still have features to implement, bugs to fix, but learning how an application is written from start to finish has been a blast for me.